In 1875 A.L. Welch razed the original frame building erected on the site by Andrew J. Macky in 1860, which served as Boulder’s first courthouse. The Welch Building, located at 1401 Pearl Street was started in 1875, occupied by Welch and Company in 1876, and completed in 1877. In 1879 William Babcock and Company purchased Welch’s hardware stock. In 1883 A.L. Welch and Company was succeeded by A. Rittmaster and Company which was owned by Alexander Rittmaster and Levi Rachofsky.